- ۰ دیدگاه
Throughout this course, we have learnt about illusions, rationality, learning to learn, scientific methods, testing claims, and exploiting the situation in order to predict and shape your behavior.
The first theme we talked about was the fact that the world in complex and ambiguous. We have to deal with this ambiguity. We have to use simplified models of the world and heuristics (availability, anchoring, and…). We see what we expect to see. We see patterns than do not exist which lead to superstitious beliefs. These are all fast thinking – system 1. The goal of this course is to learn to improve everyday thinking which means using system 2 and be more analytic.
We also talked about intuitive scientist. We need to use scientific methods to improve everyday thinking. We learned about learning techniques and methods to remember longer. Focusing on situations rather than personalities will get us so much closer to predicting human behavior.
We also talked about opinion change which is intellectually difficult.
Summary of Some Advice for Improving Everyday Thinking from Experts
1) Start with your intuitions, watch yourself, feel these intuitions coming up, and question them.
2) Part of the answer is healthy skepticism.
3) Linking up new information with what we already know is the key to improve memory. Memory storage creates capacity for additional info (scaffold-like)
4) Recognize we know much less than we think we know.
5) Make hypothesis and test your guess.
6) Pick a few things you want to change and focus only on those.
7) Challenge yourself.
(the next three are absolutely my favorites)
8) Read, read, read, read, and more reading.
9) Be careful about the information you allow yourself to consider.
10) Success is associated with hard work. There is no shortcut for it!